Exotic wood from Africa. High mechanical properties and dimensional stability as well as an interesting orange-brown color of the wood made it one of the most popular flooring materials.
1. Name and family.
- The international name: Lingue, Doussie (Afzelia)
- Latin name: Afzelia africana Harms
- Family: Caesalpiniaceae
2. Occurrence - trade name - availability.
- Occurrence: western and central Africa
- Main trade names: Sierra Leone - Kpendi
Giunea - Pauconta
Ivory Coast - Lingue
Cameroon - M'banga
Angola - Uvala
3. Description of the wood.
- Sapwood: clearly separated, light yellow, width of 2 to 5 cm
- Heartwood: the color of reddish - brown
- Fibers: straight, sometimes slightly braided
- Texture: averagely visible
4. Technical characteristics.
- Weight of fresh (kg / m3): 1,100 - 1,200
- Specific weight at 12% (kg / m3) average: 750
- Tangential shrinkage (T%): 4.6
- Radial shrinkage (R%): 3.1
- Compressive strength (N / mm2): 74
- Static bending (N / mm2) 173
- Elasticity (N / mm2): 13,700
- Sawing: requires large forces, the effect of blunting little to average
- Drying: the risk of deformation small, dries slowly
- Finishing General: possible difficulties due to irregular fiber, recommended special tools
- Bonding: requires special care
- Nailing: good, requires pre-drilling
- Finishing: good
- Stairs and floors, simple and of high hardness, high quality finishes, interior and exterior, furniture, external and internal woodwork, massive construction, shipbuilding
- Natural very high resistance
- Visually quite similar to Merbau