(Intsia bakeri Prain) origin: the southern, southwestern and western Asia, Australia. Brown or dark brown, straight fibers and the natural high resistance. Application: floors, stairs, railings, joinery, port buildings, sleepers, packaging for chemicals, perfect for the production of components in contact with water.
1. Name and family:
- The international name: Merbau
- Latin name: Intsia ..
- Family: Caesalpinaceae
2. Occurrence - trade name - availability:
- Occurrence: South, Southeast and Western Asia, Australia
- Main trade names: Indonesia - Merbau
Thailand - Lum Paw
Philippines - Ipil
Vietnam - Gonuo
Australia - a whimper
3. Description of the wood:
- Sapwood: clearly separated - bright yellow w. 5-8 cm,
- Heartwood: brown to dark brown
- Fibres: straight or sometimes slightly laced
- Texture: averagely visible
4. Technical characteristics:
- Weight of fresh (kg / m3): 1,100 - 1,300
- Specific weight at 12% (kg / m3) average: 830
- Tangential shrinkage (T%): 2.6
- Radial shrinkage (R%): 1.2
- Compressive strength (N / mm2): 70
- Static bending (N / mm2) 130
- elasticity (N / mm2): 15400
- Sawing: medium-difficult
- Drying: the good, the risk of distortion slight
- General treatment: difficult because of the hardness, special tools
- Bonding: good
- Nailing: drilling needed
- Finishing: good
- Windows, hardwood floors, packaging for chemicals, internal and external joinery, stairs, buildings harbor, ships, rail cars, railway sleepers, components exposed to water.
very high natural resistance.