Exotic wood from Africa. Ease of processing, low density, uniform bright colors, low natural durability and lack of tendency to warping and cracking makes this species suitable mainly in the plywood industry as well as the elements for saunas, pallets, furniture, boxes, etc.
1. Name and family.
- The international name: Obéché, Abachi, Ayous, Wawa.
- Latin name: Triplochiton scleroxylon
- Family: Sterculiaceae
2. Occurrence - trade name - availability.
- Occurrence: the western and central Africa
- Main trade names: Ghana - Wawa
Nigeria - Obéché
Cameroon - Ayous
Germany - Abachi
3. Description of the wood.
- White: white yellow
- Tough: white yellow
- Filaments: straight or slightly swirled
- Texture: the average seen
4. Technical characteristics.
- Gravity of fresh (kg / m3): 550 - 700
- Specific gravity at 12% (kg / m3) average: 380
- Tangential shrinkage (T%): 5.2
- Radial shrinkage (R%): 3.0
- compressive strength (N / mm2) 30
- Static bending (N / mm2): 73
- Modulus of elasticity (N / mm2): 6000
- Sawing: easy, slight dulling effect
- Drying: fast, low risk strains
- General Processing: good
- Bonding: good
- Finishing: good
- Internal woodwork, moldings, light elements of furniture, boxes, pallets.
- Easy processing, easy to stain.