African mahogany, exotic wood from Africa. Cinnamon-red color, low coefficients of shrinkage and ease of processing makes it a predisposed material mainly for interior furnishings.
1. Name and family.
- The international name: Sapelli
- Latin name: Entandrophragma cylindricum Sprague
- Family: Meliaceae
2. Occurrence - trade name - availability.
- Distribution: West Africa, central and eastern
- Main trade names: Ghana - Penkwa
Nigeria - Sapele
Ivory Coast - Aboudikro
Cameroon - Assie - Sapelli
Angola - Undianuno
3. Description of the wood.
- Sapwood: pink-gray to off, separated, width of 7 to 10 cm
- Tough: the color red - purplish brown
- Fibers: lightly clasped
- Texture: fine to medium
4. Technical characteristics.
- Weight of fresh (kg / m3): 850 - 950
- Specific weight at 12% (kg / m3) average: 680
- Tangential shrinkage (T%): 7.7
- Radial shrinkage (R%): 5.3
- compressive strength (N / mm2): 62
- Static bending (N / mm2) 142
- Elasticity (N / mm2): 11.200
- Sawing: easy, slight dulling effect
- Drying: Medium to fast, high-risk of strains, low risk of cracking
- Finishing General: possible difficulties due to irregular fibers
- Bonding: good
- Nailing: good
- Finishing: good
- Veneers, stairs, floors, interior trim and paneling, interior and exterior joinery, furniture manufacturing, high quality construction and finishing of boats, plywood.